Marijuana brownies (also called weed, pot or special brownies) are often the first food that comes to mind when you think of edibles.
Luckily, you don’t have to be a professional chef to cook up a delicious batch of brownies, but there are some essential steps you need to know.
The first step is making cannabutter, which is butter infused with marijuana. You can then use your cannabutter in any brownie recipe to make marijuana brownies.
We’ve also included how to calculate the dose of your edibles, and what to expect from the edible “high”. Here is a step-by-step guide for making the best marijuana brownies.
Step 1: Make Cannabutter
The first step to making a batch of marijuana brownies is to make cannabutter. Cannabutter is butter that has been infused with marijuana. You can also infuse cannabis with cooking oil to make canna-oil.
If you’re just throwing raw marijuana into brownie batter, you’re doing it wrong.
“Our bodies are not equipped to digest plant matter like that. When people just throw the weed into the brownies, first of all it’s not going to get you too high,” says Jeff the 420 Chef, author of cannabis cookbook The 420 Gourmet. That method will also lead to horrible tasting brownies.
Before making the brownie mix, you must first infuse the cannabis with oil or butter. We recommend following the recipe below.
Quick & Easy Cannabutter Recipe
- 1⁄4 ounce of ground cannabis
- 1/3 cup of butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- Cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer
1. Decarboxylate your Cannabis (optional)
Decarboxylation is an easy way to activate the THC and CBD in your marijuana. This simple but optional step results in a more potent and better-tasting product.
2. Combine Cannabis and Butter
- Place ¼ ounce of ground cannabis in a saucepan with the butter or oil.
3. Simmer on Low Heat
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture continuously over low heat for 10-20 minutes.
- Low heat is necessary to avoid vaporizing the THC and other beneficial compounds.
4. Let Cool
- Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
- It’s important to let it cool before straining to avoid getting burned.
5. Strain into Bowl
- Pour the mixture through the cheesecloth or strainer into a bowl.
- This separates the butter or oil from the cannabis.
- Use a spoon to press the remaining oil out of the cannabis, then discard cannabis.
Step 2: Use Cannabutter to Make Brownies
Once you’ve made a batch of cannabutter or canna-oil, you can now make marijuana brownies by simply replacing the regular butter or oil in any brownie recipe.
For a buttery flavor and creamier texture, Jeff recommends making the mix from scratch so you can use butter, as opposed to pre-made mixes, which typically require oil.
However, making the entire mix from scratch isn’t the only option. “If you want to do a quick fix, I would say use brownie mix,” Jeff notes.
Either way, you’ll want to make sure you’re baking in a well-ventilated area, since the aroma will be strong. Opening the window, turning on a fan, and placing a towel under the door can help if you live in an apartment.
For delicious yet simple marijuana brownies, we suggest using the recipe below.
Triple Chocolate Pecan Canna-Brownies Recipe
Number of servings: 24
Preparation time: 15 minutes plus 15 minutes for frosting
Cooking time: 25 to 30 minutes
Idle time: 30 minutes
Your favorite boxed brownie mix
1/3 cup cannabutter or canna-oil
1/3 cup water
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup roasted and glazed pecans, crushed
Melted chocolate (optional)
Crushed Heath bar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 340ºF. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch brownie pan with cooking spray.
- Combine eggs, cannabutter or canna-oil, and water.
- Gradually stir the brownie mix until blended.
- Add the chocolate chips and pecans. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake according to instructions on the box, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean. Remove, and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Cut into 24 equal pieces.
- In a medium Pyrex bowl, melt the chocolate for 20 seconds in the microwave. Stir well. Microwave again for 10 seconds. Stir briskly until smooth and creamy.
- Insert a small fork into the side or bottom of a brownie. Dip the brownie in the chocolate, and use a small spatula to ensure that it’s evenly coated. Set the coated brownie on parchment paper. Repeat this process with the remaining brownies.
- Sprinkle Heath bar crumbles on the brownies while the chocolate is still warm.
- Let set and voilà!
Step 3: Calculate Your Dose and Serving Size
To calculate how strong your brownies will be, you need to know the percentage of THC in the bud, the amount of oil or butter in the recipe, and how many servings you are preparing.
“I’ve had people tell me horror stories from edibles,” Jeff says. To avoid a bad experience, Jeff insists on getting the correct dosage when making the canna-oil or cannabutter you need for marijuana brownies.
Calculating the amount of THC in an edibles recipe can seem confusing at first, but we’ve figured out an easy method for getting the dose right.
1. Calculate the amount of THC per gram of your marijuana.
- Determine the percentage of THC in your strain. This may be listed on the package, but if not, you can assume 15-20%.
- Using the percentage, you can find how many milligrams of THC are in each gram. Since 1 gram = 1000 milligrams, simply multiply 1000mg by the percentage of THC.
- For example, if your strain is 15% THC, 1000mg x 0.15 = 150mg of THC per gram of marijuana.
2. Calculate the amount of THC in your cannabutter recipe.
- Find how many grams of marijuana you’re using in your cannabutter recipe.
- Multiply your first number (milligrams of THC per gram of marijuana) by the number of grams of marijuana to get the total milligrams of THC in your cannabutter.
- For example, if you’re using 7 grams of marijuana, you’d multiply 7g x 150mg/g to get 1050mg of THC.
3. Calculate the amount of cannabutter you’ll use in your brownie recipe, and find the amount of THC in that.
- If your recipe yields 2 cups of cannabutter, but you only need 1 cup, you’ll have to adjust the numbers. Skip this step if you’re using all of the cannabutter in your recipe.
- Divide the amount of cannabutter you’re using by the total amount. This is the fraction you’ll use to find how much THC is in your brownie recipe. For example, 1 cup / 2 cups = ½ or half.
- Multiply the total THC in the cannabutter recipe by this fraction. For example, 1050mg x ½ = 525mg. This is the amount of THC in your brownie recipe.
4. Decide how many servings you will make, and divide the total THC into the number of servings.
- Let’s say your recipe makes 40 servings.
- To find the amount of THC per serving, divide the total by the number of servings.
- 525mg / 40 servings = 13.1 mg per serving
Effects of Marijuana Brownies
Unlike smoking weed, the effects of marijuana brownies take a while to kick in. The high is typically felt one to two hours after consuming the brownie and can last anywhere from four to eight hours.
The high you get from the brownies will depend on two factors — the first being the strain you use. For example, sativa strains will have a more energizing effect while brownies made with indica strains will cause you to become more relaxed.
The second factor is the percentage of THC in the bud, and adjusting the dosage for the effect you desire.
Tips for Consuming Edibles
- Start low and go slow. Because edibles can affect each person differently, it’s a good idea to start with a small dose. If you’re trying edibles for the first time, 5-10 mg of THC is a recommended dose.
- Take with food. Even though marijuana brownies are technically a food, it’s a good idea to eat them as dessert instead of on an empty stomach.
- Don’t mix with other substances. It’s not a good idea to mix marijuana brownies with alcohol or other drugs.
- Know how to treat an overdose. If you accidentally take too much, drink some extra water, keep calm, and wait it out. If the effects are overwhelming, you may wish to seek medical attention.